Monday, January 30, 2006

Goodbye, Grandaddy

Grandaddy announced the "erosion" and forthcoming breakup after they release their next album, sans tour, due sometime in aught-six.

I would say I'm without words, but this is the only band I effused over like I was still a teenager and thus have vast unspeakable feelings of adolescent depression. My history with Grandaddy is as follows: In '97 I came out to the Bay Area & asked a new friend what he was listening to. What you see above is what he gave me. My roommates must have gotten sick of it. Still my favorite album of theirs. Seeing them at the Starry Plough has gotta be the highlight.

While the world waits with baited breath for the new album, Just Like the Fambly Cat, they have gifted us with an interim album that harkens back to their old guitar fuzz & warm synth sound with the EP An Excerpt From the Diary of Todd Zilla, which you can hear in its entirety on their website. If you want an accessible point to start at, go get Sumday and go backward from there.

As I dry the tears and shake myself out of selfpity by reminding myself I'm well past the age of gushy fanboydom, I force myself to turn and thank them for countless hours helping me cope with and learn from the vagaries and vicissitudes common to us all. I knew you would die someday Grandaddy, just not before I did...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|